Thursday, March 1, 2012

Final Blog



Individuals reflect on what you learned about your current event, where you stand on any issue or public policy surrounding your topic, and how you think this could tie into elementary curriculum through current events, units, lessons.  How could you adapt the curriculum (refer to current event articles).  If you did a service learning project, how did that feel?

Julia: When I first began researching this current event topic, I was hesitant to share my thoughts with the world for fear of appearing old-fashioned in my thinking and "antiquated" in my preferences.  However, no sooner did I write my opinions and justifications, or speak about them in public, that many individuals were quick to take my side regarding the preservation of the printed word.  From the outside looking into the ever-evolving world of technological advancements, it would seem that everyone is on board.  Much to my surprise, this is not the case.  Like myself, many people are experiencing fear at the thought of such a drastic change in the way we learn and the way in which we are educating our children.  I am glad to see people creating petitions and such in the hope of saving independent bookstores, and taking extreme efforts to protect these traditionalist views/values.  However, I know that it will take much more than this.  Just recently, I overheard that Barnes & Noble is just one of the bookstores that will be significantly lessening the percentage of print books they carry.  Instead, they will be turning their attention towards stocking e-books and audio books... because they are in-demand.  The thought of the inevitable taking place continues to depress me, and I cannot help but wonder just how long bookstores themselves, even independent ones, will continue to exist.  It was wonderful to have a public forum such as this to share my thoughts and to receive encouraging feedback because, honestly, I thought I had been alone in my views.
   A pertinent topic such as this could easily tie into the elementary curriculum though current events, units, and lessons.  Teachers need to teach their students the importance and value of a book and that they should be treasured, not discarded.  The teacher could ask students to name their favorite books and to discuss how they feel when reading them.  Though young, they will have most likely associated a specific feeling with the process of reading.  It is important to acknowledge this and, hopefully, it will foster the child's love of books and reading.  The curriculum could be adapted by sharing news articles with children about the disappearance of the printed word and the closing of independent, beloved bookstores.  The recent situation with Barnes & Noble would be a fitting example to present, as would the closing of Borders stores.      

Jen: I cannot deny it. I Love BOOKS. I cannot understand people who do not. Nor can I understand how people cannot read in this day and age. I do not want this to sound judgmental, it is just that I am mystified by these things.
We know that the best way to learn is by doing. We have repeatedly seen documented in educational text, that there is no greater impact on learning then for a student to make connections to the subject and have it relevant to their world. You can show a child something on line, however, if that child is going to retain it, I guarantee, they are going to request a copy printed out! A book is the ultimate printed copy.
If you can only give a person one thing in your lifetime, give them the ability to gain knowledge for themselves. It is only when we can think for ourselves, and act on our beliefs, backed by fact and rational thought, that we become better citizens in our community, country and world.
No matter what interesting and enlightening facts you find on the internet, you cannot Google common sense.

What service learning project have you decided on and share places you have contacted and places where you might be doing a project or have done your project.

 We have decided on a service learning binder and are currently working on contacting the following six locations: the Peabody Essex Museum (161 Essex St, Salem /  978-745-9500), the Children's Museum (308 Congress St, Boston / 617-426-6500), the Museum of Science (1 Science Park, Boston / 617-723-2500), the Revere Public Library (179 Beach Street, Revere / 781-286-8380), Joppa Flats Audubaun (1 Plum Island Turnpike, Newburyport / 978-462-9998), and the Harvard Independent Bookstore (1256 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge / 617-661-1515)  

Jen: Actually, I have helped with a learning service project several years ago. My daughter’s middle school was involved with a bird-banding program at the Joppa Flats. Students recorded Data, and graphed this for the Audubon. I of course served in the capacity of parent volunteer, the students did all the real work. Joppa Flats is an important part of the flyway for Eastern American, migrating birds.  The one thing that I would love to create is a literacy program for families within a library. In my community, I am aware of a large number of families who are headed by parents who are only functionally literate. What better way to affect a child’s own literacy development than having it modeled by his or her parent?



If you were to do a service learning project around this current event topic with elementary education students, what would it be?  Be creative...You might have to draw long tangents between what the topic is to a more age appropriate topic first, and then connect it to something they could get involved with.  Refer to service learning texts and articles.  How would you incorporate this into their curriculum and learning?

If I were to do a service learning project with elementary education students, I would bring them to both a public library and to the Harvard Independent Bookstore.  It is in these settings that they will develop an understanding of the importance of the printed word, if they do not already have a thorough understanding of it.  With regards to the independent bookstore, they can see how it is maintained and how their stock of books differs from the chain bookstores.  Those who work in independent bookstores also have a deep love for reading, so this will also help to instill that lifelong love of literature within them that I believe to be so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment